Wednesday 17 February 2021

Colin Gunton and the Eternal Functional Subordination of the Son

My friend, Jon Horne, has just started a blog series in which he explores what he thinks Colin Gunton would have made of the recent discussions about the eternal functional subordination of the Son. Jon’s is a sharp theological mind and I expect this series will be worth following.

Update (19/02/2021): Jon has now posted the outline of his series; see here.

Also, I believe The T&T Handbook of Colin Gunton (edited by Andrew Picard, Myk Habets, and Murray Rae) is now available. Once I get my copy, I’ll aim to post something approximating to a summary here. Needless to say, the chapter on eschatology is absolutely wonderful and worth the £130.00 rrp alone.

3 comments:

  1. When I gave a paper at Colin Gunton's Research Institute of Systematic Theology (RIST) in the late 1990s, I found that Colin was deeply influenced by Zizioulas about the primary of the Father. My presentation was about how a Trinitarian basis is foundational to a proper view of teh world, and implicitly drew on the sort of view I had imbibed from Robert Jenson in my research on him (under Colin's supervision). The position I hold is more one of the perichoretic distinctiveness of the Persons in covenantal unity, as I have developed in varous place, including my Outline of a Christian Worldview, which can be found on my academic.edu page. Jeremy Ive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry -- my academia.edu page https://nwu.academia.edu/JeremyIve -- my apologies for the typos. Jeremy Ive

    ReplyDelete