Friday 1 May 2015

Martin Saunders on Cultural Engagement and Christian Indignation

People of faith are most famous for taking offence when culture . . . decides to critique or poke fun at us. I think God is probably big enough to deal with that without needing us to leap to his defence. Most mentions of blasphemy in the Bible are either aimed at God’s own people or found in accusations levelled at Jesus himself. In fact, I think we’re much better served saving our critiques for when culture totally misses the point.
Martin Saunders, ‘The Rules of Engagement’, Premier Christianity, May 2015, p. 22

The whole article is worth a read.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so tired I read that as Christian 'indigestion'. I do wish that certain more vocal sections of the Christian population would be as vociferous about the plight of the poor and the oppressed as they are about same-sex marriage or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. . . When my father-in-law was a parish priest (he's retired now), he wrote a piece for (or was interviewed by - I forget which) his local newspaper, explaining why he didn't think Jerry Springer: The Opera was anything for Christians to be fussed about. This was at the time when (I think) Christian Voice were being very, um, vocal about the play.

      Delete